[GNC-dev] Missing Package

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Sep 26 13:42:32 EDT 2019

On 9/25/19 8:40 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> Steven,
> Whatever went wrong isn't in that listing. I don't know much about either schroot or Debian's build scripts except that Dmitriy filed a bunch of "FTBFS" bugs where it took the two of us many hours to figure out what had gone wrong. My conclusion is that the Debian build system breaks often and is difficult to debug.
Shucks!  I may have to take a class at the local cc to learn the
rudimentary items.  At least I know that I don't know!
> So do what Dmitriy declines to: Get a shell in your schroot and build GnuCash by hand. Start off with the minimal flags, `cmake -G 'Unix Makefiles" -DWITH_PYTHON=ON -DGTEST_ROOT=xxx -DGMOCK_ROOT=yyyy ..` and make sure that builds OK, then start adding the others, one at a time, until it fails. When it fails, scroll back in the terminal and look at the messages there, don't bother with CMakeOutput or CMakeErrors.
OK.  That is a very reasonable path.  I may have time later this
evening.  Right now I'm facing some "todo" items from the wife.  Somehow
she thinks they have higher priority.  :-)
> Note that if you're building GnuCash master that GMOCK_ROOT was deleted a couple of weeks ago, that the minimum Googletest version is 1.8.0 and that GTEST_ROOT should point to the outer googletest folder, the one containing the googletest and googelmock folders.
On MAINT.  Actually the 3.7 tag.  I presume this change will affect
3.8?  or will it be 4.0?
> Another note: '-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-g -O2"' is spelled '-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo' as that gets you debug symbols for both C and C++ instead of only C++ the way you've (and perhaps Dmitriy) have it. There's a heck of a lot more C than C++ in GnuCash. It's also better practice to let Cmake handle the compiler flags.
Just grabbed the debian/rules file that Dmitriy had.  This is learning
while in the fire pit!!
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks John.  Now I have a path that should lead to a solution.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com