[GNC-dev] About 3.9 and reconciliation balances

Dale Phurrough dale at hidale.com
Tue Apr 7 10:21:53 EDT 2020

Hi. I do have feedback on the 3.10 change suggestions. Meanwhile, I'll not
comment on the feature change "3.9 comes with a new method for calculating
reconciliation starting balances". I defer to others on this list for that.

1.
This time period of one month is arbitrary and my experience suggests this
is a symptom of a hack, incomplete solution, or partial workaround. Both
(a) allowing future/advance reconciliation -and- (b) disallowing something
"too far ahead" is again arbitrary and is forcing an arbitrary accounting
policy rather than conservative double-book rules and math.
Features with rules which are defined by the computer clock
are troublesome. It makes sense when one needs to transfer money via an
online API. It doesn't make sense when one is doing core accounting tasks.
Also this seems (in my shallow understanding of the 3.9 change) to not work
with that 3.9 change. How could someone future reconcile if future-date
splits wouldn't be valid with respect to the future-target-reconcile
balance? This suggests a cascade of more workarounds.

2.
I highly discourage altering any data without explicit disclosure and
acceptance of each change occurrence. This is not in alignment with the
ideas of data integrity, data persistence, trust and disclosure, etc.
Also a similar arbitrary accounting policy with the suggested date>1month
logic and 1/1/1970.

--Dale