[GNC-dev] About 3.9 and reconciliation balances

Dale Phurrough dale at hidale.com
Tue Apr 7 11:47:20 EDT 2020

Cool use of cleared/reconciled for expenses. I can follow that general
approach.
I do have an inquiry regarding the need for the future when reconciling.
(What am I missing...or is there a gnucash feature I'm assuming exists that
doesn't?) 🤔

In my mind, I see two accounts
1) bank account, e.g. Bank of America Checking
2) the expenses, for simplicity lets put them all into a single
"Reimbursable Expenses" account

As I think through this, I would hope you can following a workflow similar
the following:
1. Enter multiple transactions into "Reimbursable Expenses" account for all
such expenses
2. Submit expense reports and mark those expenses in "Reimbursable
Expenses" account as cleared
3. Wait for check
4. Receive reimbursement check on 1 May 2020
5. On 2 May 2020, use GnuCash to reconcile the "Reimbursable Expenses"
account
6. Mark the splits in the "Reimbursable Expenses" that are included with
this reimbursement check as reconciled. The reconcile date on those
specific splits will be 2 May 2020.
7. Now the "Reimbursable Expenses" account is reconciled.
8. On 4 May 2020, deposit the reimbursement check.
9. On 8 May 2020, you see that check's cash was deposited into your bank
account. You mark the credit split in the "Bank of America Checking"
account as cleared.
10. On 2 *June* 2020, you use your May bank account statement to reconcile
the "Bank of America Checking" account
11. You mark the splits in "Bank of America Checking" account that match
those in the bank statement as reconciled.  The reconcile date on those
specific splits will be 2 *June* 2020
12. Now the " Bank of America Checking" account is reconciled.

In the above workflow, there is no future-reconcile handling needed.
Reconciling the expenses is separate form reconciling the bank account.
Reconciles always happen now or in the past.

--Dale