[GNC-dev] About 3.9 and reconciliation balances

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 10:35:00 EDT 2020

Some further findings. I don't think the "fix" needs to come back.

The reconciled_date field is not well defined in code
- during manual reconciliation (which I use heavily) it sets
reconciled_date to statement_date.
- during QIF import from Quicken, it can also set reconcile_status to
mirror Quicken reconcile status, but the reconciled_date is never set at
all, and is interpreted as 01/01/70. These splits would be counted
correctly if my "fix" were reinstated.
- during QIF imports from banks (I use occasionally) the importer doesn't
typically set splits as reconciled but 'c'leared instead
- during OFX import from bank (I use this heavily) splits are set 'c'leared.
- during AQBanking import splits' seem to be reconciled to TODAY.

Conclusion: I think a future storage for *reconciled_date *and
*ending_balance* is still possible if it is populated when completing
successful manual reconciliation, and this does not necessarily need the
"fix". It would simply serve as a data integrity report verifying account
reconciled balances are still matching stored balances.