[GNC-dev] About 3.9 and reconciliation balances (auditing)

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 05:30:23 EDT 2020

Hi David,

Am 11.04.20 um 05:27 schrieb D. via gnucash-devel:
> Looking this over, it seems to me that your goals could only be achieved by adding a statement date data element to each transaction, which would tie that transaction to a specific statement. This field would have much more limited purpose and modification avenues. It would also help with generation of reconciliation reports. The existing reconciliation date field would then be freer to be considered a last-edited date, which might have benefits in other ways-- for example, one might be able to identify a transaction in a reconciliation set that has a significantly different last edited date. Or a user could be notified in the popup when they change the value of a reconciled split that they should revisit the mm-dd-yyyy reconciliation to be sure that their books are still accurate.

I like the idea of a last-edited date for another purpose: German law
and probably others forbid editing once entered transactions. You have
to void and reenter the transaction. A compare between the date_posted
and the last-edit date would help autitors to verify that the rule was
applied.

Regards
Frank