[GNC-dev] About 3.9 and reconciliation balances

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 18 17:15:03 EDT 2020

Dale,

While that was the main thrust of the thread, it is inevitable that it will
bring attention to other issues so no real dramas. The advent of electronic
clearing almost immediately  and OFX direct connect connections to at least
some banks (mine won't cooperate) is also changing the game. An OFX
directConnect query may have the status of a statement in some circumstances
and an import in that can already trigger the reconciliation processand
reconcile in some circumstances as John described in another post. This is
still consistent with the manual reconciliation process.  The discussion did
encompass improvements to recording the reconciliation process, i.e a
reconciliation history if you like to help with automatic checking of the
account and Geert outlined an approach to that by including a statement data
structure which links to the account being reconciled and has essential
information about each statement which would make what I have in mind much
easier down the track.  I wasn't objecting to issues you raised but was more
concerned that we were on the same page in terms of terminology.

Not sure what an alternative approach to reconciliation would look like. As
an accounting process, reconciliation is about checking your books records
against those maintained by another entity and ensuring agreement. From an
accounting perspective GnuCash's reconciliation process is already very
good. How would you do it differently?

David

-----
David Cousens