[GNC-dev] Porting the Tutorial & Concepts Guide to ReadTheDocs.org

Rob Gowin robg at gowin.net
Fri Apr 24 18:13:18 EDT 2020

Got the itch to play around with GnuCash’s documentation tooling, file format, etc. I’m an AsciiDoc fan, but like the docs I read on ReadTheDocs.org <http://readthedocs.org/>, which uses reStructuredText.

So, got out ‘pandoc’ to convert the T&C Guide (English only) from DocBook  to RST, did a little scripting and here is the result:

https://gnucash-docs-rst.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html <https://gnucash-docs-rst.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html>

I’d say it’s appearance is a bit improved over the existing online docs.. :-)

I haven’t examined every chapter in detail, but I think this is pretty good for a first attempt at the conversion, which is 99% automated. The only thing done by hand is the intro page, which is ch_oview.rst with some markup for the table of contents. Speaking of which, the TOC for the Appendices isn’t done correctly, but should be straightforward to fix. I’m not 100% sure all the table formatting is correct.

One nice thing about using ReadTheDocs is that the book looks good on mobile. Give it a try.

Also, ReadTheDocs automatically generates PDF and EPUB versions. Click on the down arrow at the bottom near “v: latest” to pop up a menu to download these formats. They look pretty decent.

Comments welcome.

Rob