[GNC-dev] About budgets in 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Apr 27 14:58:31 EDT 2020

Thanks Phil, so I’m not completely insane then.

I too try to remember to factor in signs because GnuCash works that way. I was just throwing in my 2¢ for taking a step back for perspective that maybe can be considered in a future release. (5.0 maybe?)

As for danger in generating confusion, the app already throws people at least in the middle of the pool of accounting. Being consistent with accounting text resources might reduce confusion. (in my humble opinion) If texts don’t refer to credit accounts as ’normally negative’, or don’t address or present ’sign’ at all, then people learning on their own would come to GnuCash and see a similar approach.

I presently have my reversed balance accounts setting to ‘Credit accounts’ because that way, negative values tell me I have a contra-account balance. Short of seeing the balance as Dr. or Cr., that’s the best I can get at the moment.

Christopher,

I’ll add a big ’Thank You’ for tackling this. I understand you have program constraints to work in and can’t re-build the house for the kitchen sink. Even if it isn't the optimum, if it is at least consistent and works properly, that is better than not.

Regards,
Adrien