[GNC-dev] About budgets in 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Apr 28 09:18:30 EDT 2020

My simplistic view on this: if there is going to be confusion anyway, let's at least make it
consistent.

We have the sign reversal strategies in there to alter gnucash number presentation behavior. To
me it would make sense this affects normal transactions the same way as it would reports as it
would budgetting.

That's currently not the case, which means users have to keep two mental models in their head:
one for transactions (is liability interpreted such or so, and so on) and another for budgets. I
personally think that's a big hurdle.

Keep in mind that these reversal strategies (should) only be relevant for the display of
information. Internally numbers should always be stored according to the signs in the
accounting equation. Again budget values didn't follow this rules. So besides being inconsistent
to users it is also inconsistent and confusing to developers.

That's what prompted the work to bring this all in line.

No doubt this may change the interpretation of certain numbers. We can't avoid this completely.
What we had was inconsistent and created interpretations based on the inconsistent behavior.
Change that and the interpretation has to change with it.

Regards,

Geert