[GNC-dev] Python configs

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Aug 1 08:02:30 EDT 2020

Op vrijdag 17 juli 2020 19:43:19 CEST schreef John Ralls:
> > On Jul 17, 2020, at 2:18 AM, c.holtermann at gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm thinking about a good place to store python config. That would or
> >
> > could be:
> > 	* for the python shell
> >
> > 	* if it is activated
> > 	* I'd like to make a history file and its location configurable
> >
> > 	* for the python example scripts
> >
> > 	* Now or then I have a thought about this or that setting that doesn't
> >
> > come to my mind now.
> >
> > Thinking about the activation of the python shell would be enough for
> > this general question. I don't like to have to change the python shell
> > source with every new branch or compilation.
> >
> > Could config options use the gnucash config system in which I didn't
> > really have a look or should it use an own config system with a config
> > file somewhere where the other gnucash config files reside?
> >
> > I don't know of bindings for the gnucash config system (except for
> > asking for the --debug and --extra flags as in setup of the python
> > shell). But I may have missed something.
>
> What exactly are you trying to configure? And what python shell source are
> you changing for every build?
>
> Bear in mind that we absolutely, positively do NOT want to create a python
> scripting platform inside of the GnuCash application. Having to deal with
> Guile is bad enough and adding a second one would square the maintenance
> effort.

I'd slightly nuance that to be "we only want to support a single scripting platform inside of the
gnucash application". Right now that's guile, which gives us enough headache. It may be
another one in the future if all guile code can be fully converted to either C++ or the new
scripting technology.

Definitely not on the radar anytime soon though.

Regards,

Geert