[GNC-dev] [MAINT] Server Downtime to relocate hardware, Feb 1, 2020

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Feb 1 23:59:58 EST 2020

Hi,
I've got my main servers racked, network transitioned, and VM host upgraded.
I turned the VM's back on around 23:30 local time.
As you can see from this message, code is now passing mail again.
I know gncbot is also sitting in IRC.
So I'm going to call the server back up and running.
If you see any issues please let me know and I'll check it in the morning.

I do still have some work to do; the VMs didn't come up on their own and
needed some manual intervention.  I know why, but I'm going to have to
track down how to work around the new issue.  :(  Unfortunately testing
this might require more downtime to ensure it's working.

I'll try to schedule that when I can.

For now, I'm going to try to get some rest.

Happy GnuCashing!

-derek

On Sat, February 1, 2020 4:58 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
> This maintenance is about to begin.
> -derek
>
> On Fri, January 31, 2020 9:52 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Just a reminder that this is scheduled for tomorrow.
>> I am expecting the work to start around 4pm US/ET (2100 UTC).
>> I will send one more email before I start to turn down servers, and will
>> be on
>> IRC as much as I can during the work.
>> Thanks,
>> -derek
>>
>> "Derek Atkins" <derek at ihtfp.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> TL;DR: I plan to move the hardware that runs code.gnucash.org on the
>>> afternoon/evening of February 1, 2020, which will involve some
>>> significant
>>> downtime as the machine is physically moved and then racked.  Expect
>>> anywhere from 4-12 hours of downtime for email, wiki, archives, gncbot,
>>> and git master.  Exact time TBD; real-time updates will go to #gnucash
>>> on
>>> IRC.
>>>

>>> Long version:  On the afternoon of February 1, 2020 I plan to relocate
>>> my
>>> hardware to its more permanent location.  This will involve significant
>>> downtime because I have toL
>>> 1) shut down the systems
>>> 2) reconfigure the local network at the old location
>>> 3) reroute the IPv4 tunnel to the new location (which requires
>>> coordination with another entity)
>>> 4) physically move the machines from the old location to new location
>>> 5) install the new machines in the racks at the new location
>>> 6) reconfigure the local network for the tunnel