[GNC-dev] [GNC] QIF file import failed -- but no errors or warnings

James Peterson lyle at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 21 13:00:52 EST 2020

Okay, here's a couple simple test QIF files.

In test1, I have two accounts.  A Bank Checking account
that starts with an opening balance of $1000.  A credit
card account that starts with a $0 balance.

I pay $400 from the checking account to the credit card
account.  In the QIF file, since Quicken is doing double
entry bookkeeping, we see that as a debit of 400 for the
checking account with the transfer account being the credit
card account. (Quicken doesn't really distinguish debits
and credits, but it's a -400 transaction, so a debit).

The credit card account has one transaction, the other
half of the double entry bookkeeping, which is a credit
(positive amount) of $400 from the checking account.

So simple.  Checking account still has $600 (Initial
amount of $1000 minus the $400 to the credit card)
The credit card starts at $0 and gets $400 from the
checking account, so ending balance of $400.

What does gnucash do?

The Checking account only has $200, because it seems to
have done the $400 transfer twice (I suspect $400 from
the checking and another $400 to the credit card).

Somehow the credit card has a negative balance of $800.

And it introduced a non-existant "Equity" account, with
a retained earnings sub-account, for $1000.  I don't understand
what that is about.

jim