[GNC-dev] Online ID matching for OFX import

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sun Jan 5 03:40:54 EST 2020

When I tried to do my monthly import of an OFX file containing my
TIAA/CREF transactions it failed miserably.  I tracked it down to commit
7853f5a2 which changed the matching of online IDs for accounts to only
match an initial substring of the required ID.  My accounts are
structured with a parent account in USD corresponding to a TIAA/CREF
account and a sub-account under it for each asset in that account.  The
online ID for the parent account is something like "TIAA-CREF.ORG
C8304GY8 RAM001 101011".  The online ID for a sub-account storing an
asset is created by appending the asset ID to the parent accounts online
ID giving something like "TIAA-CREF.ORG C8304GY8 RAM001
101011878094101".  gnc_import_select_account does a linear search of all
accounts in no particular order looking for one where the online ID
matches in initial substring of the ID it wants.  If it finds the parent
account before the sub account it returns that and the process fails
since it's the wrong currency.  I don't understand enough about the
problem that commit is fixing to know how to fix it without breaking
things.

           Mike