[GNC-dev] 4.0 and C++?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jul 8 23:29:48 EDT 2020

It's a desired trend alright. We push for new code to use modern C++ (meaning C++ 11 idioms and with more emphasis on generics than OO), but not every contributor is up to writing that. *But* GnuCash is over a million lines of C code and we expect it will take many years and many development cycles to convert everything.

There's another consideration: Our GUI is Gtk, and while there's a C++ wrapper for it called gtkmm we don't use that much. We also have bindings created via SWIG, and while SWIG was designed for C++ and works reasonably well with it it takes a fair amount of care to get it to work correctly. To deal with those the C++ modules we've created are wrapped in C to ease portability.

Regards,
John Ralls