[GNC-dev] Dev's features of choice?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jul 26 23:37:13 EDT 2020

Because while GnuCash lacks the controls and some modules (c.f. the recent request for cost accounting; we also get frequent questions about whether we support payroll, inventory control, and POS for retail) required by many businesses, it is double-entry and designed for users who want a formal accounting app. If you're more interested in a Quicken work-alike try KMyMoney.

That said I don't agree with Frank that transactions should be immutable, though we have a preference that can get you pretty close to that if you want. The real difficulty with bulk edit is GnuCash's edit-commit structure that as you recently discovered in imports makes bulk modification rather slow. Changing it without breaking a lot of other things would be difficult. There are also accounting controls issues: Remember that you punted on enforcing same-commodity on bulk moves of transactions in sub-accounts when deleting the parent account because of the spiraling complexity.

Undo/Redo is maybe another matter. The simplest form would keep a stack of changes to the Gtk controls while some element--a transaction in the register, a business object, or a dialog box--is between being open and committed. Implementing that would be mostly tedious. Being able to undo already committed changes would require a good deal more care and perhaps some changes to the edit-commit behavior in the backend.

Regards,
John Ralls