[GNC-dev] [MAINT] ovirt reboot(s) to upgrade the software

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jun 4 12:23:48 EDT 2020

On Thu, June 4, 2020 11:58 am, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Jun 4, 2020, at 6:30 AM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>>
>> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>>
>>> Derek,
>>>
>>> I can work around both and we can coordinate on IRC. The Saturday one
>>> might take a little extra coordination as we're in the weekly release
>>> period leading up to 4.0.
>>
>> I'm thinking I'll do the engine update tonight.
>>
>> I could do the host update Sunday morning US/ET?
>
> As long as you're done by 1100 EDT that should be OK, I seldom start
> working before then.

Okay, I think I can do that!  Most of the time for the host upgrade is
shutting down the VMs and waiting for them to come back up!  This is where
it would be nice to have multiple hosts so I can do live migration of the
VMs when I perform this kind of maintenance.

If (when?) I want (need?) to upgrade to Ovirt-4.4, that requires an
upgrade to EL8, and that will require some re-installation of base OSes,
which is going to be a pain unless they come up with a live migration
strategy (right now it's "reinstall").  that kind of downtime would likely
be significant.  If I had multiple hosts I could round-robin upgrade them.

Maybe one day. ;)

> Regards,
> John Ralls

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745