[GNC-dev] Feedback on GnuCash 3.903

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Fri Jun 5 13:55:29 EDT 2020

> On Jun 5, 2020, at 1:26 PM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> It will need a one time action to set these new defaults once you start using 4.0. I believe we
> have 6 layouts so that's 6 times you may see a layout that doesn't suit you and you would have
> to fix it.

In its current form, the user experience is waaaaaayyyy worse. My use of 3.903 (Mac OS 10.15.5) has been quite limited. For several cycles of opening Gnucash, the only account I had open was a single credit card account (+ the Accounts tab). I was working on getting aqbanking to work, and had to edit the environment file to get logging working. I didn’t immediately change the column widths because appearance wasn’t my primary goal. There now appears to  be no way to reset the default column widths. If I close any credit card or checking account tab, opening any of them again gives me the enormously wide description column and the absurdly narrow transfer account column.

So the ‘one time action’ appears to be unannounced and irreversible. Unless there’s a bug, you’re going to get 10 times as many complaints about register behavior as you’ve seen in the past.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com