[GNC-dev] Patelco stopped supporting OFX... other options

jean laroche ripngo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 13:09:45 EDT 2020

More about the Plaid thing:

1) I found quite a few projects in github having to do with plaid.
People writing their own financial solutions.
One that's somewhat relevant here is this one:
https://github.com/ebridges/plaid2qif
Even though the author picked qif instead of ofx (a mistake I think) it
shows that people are doing this.
2) I wrote my own plaid->ofx python package. It's not particularly
difficult. For my own solution I integrated it with a python package
that allows connecting to a keepass database (keepass is a password
manager) so all the access tokens are saved in keepass. I'll put it in
github but I'm not sure how useful it will be for other people as I
tailored it to my own needs.
3) I asked plaid whether it was possible to get access to investment
accounts with a free developer license, and if not how much that would
cost. I haven't received an answer yet.
4) There are alternatives to plaid but I'm not sure whether they work
equally well, or whether they can give you access to investment
accounts. I can list Quovo, Tiller, MX. All of them tend to be geared
toward companies, not individuals, like plaid. But it's possible that
they can be used by individuals. All of the seem to use OAUTH, which I'm
sure many people will have issues with (because the companies keep
tokens that give them access to your bank accounts).

J.