[GNC-dev] Single User Installation location on Linux

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 5 22:26:15 EST 2020

John,

These were previous mentionsof $HOME/.local. My emeory of things is getting
a bit flawed these days.

I don't think it was a rtecommendation as such. The original wiki before I
modified it had $HOME/.local  as the single user location

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-dev-About-the-HOME-local-installation-prefix-tp4710196p4710237.html

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Building-v3-Wiki-entry-for-Ubuntu-tt4701508.html#a4701569

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-dev-About-the-HOME-local-installation-prefix-tp4710196p4710262.html

The thread above seems to also conclude a $HOME/apps location or similar as
a better alternative.  i obviously didn't follow up and modify the wiki at
the time. Will put it on the to do list this time.

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Uninstall-GC-tp4708376p4708497.html

I couldn't find any earlier references.

I will change the wiki to recommend using a directory under $HOME aka
/home/<user>. I will suggest using $HOME/apps but point out it can be any
directory name the user chooses and can be a hidden directory if the user so
wishes. I will also add some suggestions for alternative ways to include the
executable in the PATH environment  as well as a suggestion to include a
launcher in the OS's menu system as per the distro's methods.

David

-----
David Cousens
--