[GNC-dev] Single User Installation location on Linux

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Mar 6 04:50:44 EST 2020

Op vrijdag 6 maart 2020 10:39:29 CET schreef Colin Law:
> On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 09:29, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
> > What I am still curious about though is how applications get installed in
> > $HOME/.local/bin.
> Looking at my notes on platformio I believe it got there via
> pip install --user platformio
> In my notes it also says to add .local/bin to the path but I don't
> know whether in fact it was there already.
>
> Colin

Ah, interesting!

pip is the installer for python packages. When I run the command above it will also install that
package in $HOME/.local/bin on my Fedora box. It's the first tool that does so. $HOME/.local.bin
didn't exist before I ran this command.

Still $HOME/.local/bin is not on my PATH. I'd have to add it myself.

So we have identified at least one installation method that indeed does follow the systemd spec.
I wonder whether npm (for nodeJS), guix (for guile), cpan (for perl) and so on have similar user
local installation options that use $HOME/.local.

Geert