[GNC-dev] Ideas for account type-ahead modification

Jean Laroche ripngo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:03:13 EDT 2020

People,
I have a version you can test here:
https://github.com/jeanlaroche/gnucash.git , fix_autocompletion branch.
A couple notes:
- I worked off of maint, which I shouldn't have since this is probably a
new feature. I'll fix that eventually.
- The feature is fully functional, as far as I can tell.
- I added an option in the preferences to use type-ahead-search
(register), but at this point, it's not working right (it does not hold,
so I must be missing some code).
- I tested on accounts with large number of accounts (> 8000), and as
far as I can tell it works OK. When you start typing there are
potentially thousands of matching accounts but I only display the first
30 to avoid making the UI horribly sluggish, I think that's a good
compromise.

Give that a shot and let me know what you think. The code is not ready
for a PR as I still have lots of comments that would need to go.

PREFERENCES:
If someone can point me in the right direction for preferences, it would
be great. I essentially replicated the code for "Enter moves to blank
transaction" (by searching all references of the defines for that pref,
and adding the ones needed for the new option) but I must be missing
something because the code says the preference key is invalid. The new
option shows in the preferences, but the rest isn't working.