[GNC-dev] Significance of 18:59:00 in GnuCash 2.6.21 and altering of existing data

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat May 2 04:19:15 EDT 2020

Hi Kevin,

The time changes have been done to deal with timezone issues. And I believe 2.6.21 may still
not be doing it quite right. If I remember correctly the 3.x series received additional fixes.

I may have a few details wrong but this is the essence of it: gnucash used to poorly handle
timezone data for its timestamps. That means that if the book was created in timezone A and
then opened in timezone B, the dates would be interpreted differently. And depending in
timezone A and B that could mean transactions could appear as being entered a day earlier or
later. At some point I believe that for some users even the change in daylight saving time
triggered the same issue.

So we set out to store time in a more neutral way. The idea is that setting the time to 10:59 UTC
would be the safest. Only in the most extreme timezones this could possibly still cause an issue
(though I think John even added checks to handle that).

The exact implementation of this idea has been modified several times as we discovered flaws
but the idea is still there.

For 2.6.21 there was already an implementation of this, though I can't tell you offhand which
iteration that would have been.

So what you see the 18:59 is most likely 10:59 compensated for your local timezone. Still not
the ideal end solution. My current data file shows 10:59 +000, really meaning 10:59 UTC (I've
used this with recent version of gnucash 3.x).

Note the more easy solution would have been to just drop time information and only use date
information. That has been considered (and still is). At the time this bug was discovered, we
decided to be conservative to avoid any unexpected breakage in case parts of the code did rely
on the time information (spoiler alert, there were/may still be).

Regards,

Geert