[GNC-dev] Significance of 18:59:00 in GnuCash 2.6.21 and altering of existing data

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Tue May 5 00:52:02 EDT 2020

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 20:37, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:

> > Initially, given the swig in the file name, I had almost allowed for the
> > differences as resulting from different swig versions but, on closer
>
> > inspection, noted the different text, including the fixing up of the
> > ".. add out module ..." text, to the correct "... add our module ..."
> >
> > Howver, I can't find that change in the repo, as in, I did a git log
> > against the
> >
> > src/gnc-module/swig-gnc-module.c
> >
> > file, having checked out the most recent commit on the maint branch,
> > and the file alwasy has the uncorrected "out" not "our" in it.
> >
> > Does that mean that the official 2.6.21 tarball wasn't built against
> > the commit with the hash that is visible in the autogenerated file
>

> No. If building from a git repo swig-gnc-module.c is a generated file. That generated
> file will be included in the dist tarballs together with all the other swig generated files.
>
> So if you generate dist tarballs with different versions of swig installed on your system,
> they may indeed have different swig-generated files.

Yes, but no version of SWIG would alter the Text in a Comment within the file
it was processing, or would it?

I wasn't aware of SWIG having any "automatic" spell-correction capability
but I could imagine that it might be congigured/used to do that.

So if SWIG is not responsble for the change to the text in a comment,
then what changed the comment in the file SWIG processed, and where
is the commit for that ?

Apologies if I didn't make what I was asking clear,
Kevin

PS

> For the record, starting with gnucash 4.0 we will no longer ship the swig
> generated sources in our dist tarballs, aligning tarball builds a bit more
> closely with git builds.

Thanks for taking  the time to "tidy up" a few loose ends in the 2.x series
for me - it's appreciated.