[GNC-dev] gnucash maint: Multiple changes pushed

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Nov 16 12:10:12 EST 2020

> On Nov 13, 2020, at 2:13 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op vrijdag 13 november 2020 00:52:44 CET schreef John Ralls:
>> Updated	 via  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/d751913c (commit)
>> 	 via  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/4e91a33b (commit)
>> 	from  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/a519b913 (commit)
>>

>> commit d751913cb9d422be91595f42f89674248ffe90aa
>> Author: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
>> Date:   Mon Nov 9 14:26:15 2020 -0800
>>
>>    Fix typo in .gitattributes, text not test.
>>
>> commit 4e91a33be358ac952ea31c2c62c816070c15b453
>> Author: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
>> Date:   Mon Nov 9 13:50:51 2020 -0800
>>
>>    Use LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH instead of (DY)LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>
>>    With GnuCash's main libraries now linked at startup instead of being
>>    dlopened at runtime except by Guile we can restrict the library path
>>    renaming to Gnu Libtool's environment variable.
>
> Gnucash is no longer using gnc-module itself but the gnc-module interface is
> still present though. So in theory we still support user-built custom gnc-
> modules. Would they still work after your change on MacOS ?
>
> If not, we should either just drop gnc-module completely (which Derek opposed
> IIRC) or clearly document the extra  steps the user should take to make it
> work, which IIUC on MacOS means setting (DY)LD_LIBRARY_PATH such that the
> custom gnc-module is found.

GnuCash does still use gnc-module for aqbanking and import-binary, and yes, they still work because the actual paths are set by gnc_find_module and the values of $GNC_MODULE_PATH. A user trying to load their own gnc-module from somewhere else would need to add that somewhere else to $GNC_MODULE_PATH, but they'd also need to modify and recompile GnuCash to actually load their module.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/gnucash/gnucash.cpp#L143