[GNC-dev] Adding a button to abort scrub?

jean laroche ripngo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 12:18:41 EDT 2020

Christopher Lam suggested that the scrubbing process should be
cancellable via a button (for context, we recently fixed a bug that
could cause a crash when quitting GC during a scrub operation).

I took a look at the code and as usual, it's not as easy as I would have
hoped: the backend part (making the scrub stop) is very easy, as the
abort mechanism is already in place. Adding an abort button in the right
place on the relevant windows isn't as easy (see for example how the
progress bar is created/handled, it's fairly convoluted to say the least).
Two questions:
- Do we really think it's worth the effort given how often scrubbing is
used, and given that scrubbing only takes long on accounts with many
transactions or books with many accounts?
- If we think it's worth the effort, does one of you devs know how to
easily add the abort button on the main window (and probably the account
transactions window as well)? If so, we could split the task: you could
add the right window, and I'd take it from there.

Personally I doubt it's worth the effort...

Jean