[GNC-dev] Deprecation of XML file

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 05:02:03 EDT 2020

Stefan,

just a few  thoughts:

Am 14.09.20 um 08:11 schrieb Stefan Bluhm:
> Hello GnuCash Team,
>
> Is there a reason to keep supporting the XML file in future?

I am happy with it since ~20 years.
It can be easy analyzed by a simple grep or more advanced (XSLT, XPATH,
…) commands.
I can use rsync for fast diff based backups.
It is a well defined format, while SQLite is not ISO complete and the
other SQLs have their additional administrative overhead.

> Wouldn't it be easier to force save the data to SQlite to tackle the move from QOF?
In the past have been issues special with SQLite bugs.

> The benefit of point in time save (instead of transactional save) could be achieved by working from a copy instead.

I see it as one of the downsides. I save usually after finishing a
logical section cotaining several transaction. In theory you could allow
user defined START TRANSACTION … constructs.

> Probable issue would arise from users that read the XML file directly.
>
> Let me know your thoughts.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Stefan

Regards