[GNC-dev] Deprecation of XML file

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Sep 14 12:03:09 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Mon, September 14, 2020 11:54 am, jean laroche wrote:
> I too like the ability to manipulate the xml file directly, so I'm
> attached to it.
> Can someone explain the benefits of SQL vs XML?
> Is it faster?

The *main* benefit of SQL storage is that you get immediate saves.  I.e.,
when you commit a transaction, it gets saved to storage immediately.  So
-- no lost work.

Another benefit, LONG TERM, of moving to SQL is that we can improve the
performance of "searches" (and EVERYTHING internally is a search).

Also, theoretically, it COULD be faster because we could delay loading of
data, however right now, no, it is not "faster" in that sense because we
still load the full data-set into RAM when you start the program.

> I know it allows simultaneous access by multiple users, but is that a
> realistic usage scenario for GC?

SQLite does not really allow multiple users.  Moreover, supporting SQL
does not immediately provide multi-user support -- there is a lot more to
do to support that.  So I would say that SQL is necessary for multiuser
support, but not sufficient.

See above on other reasons for moving to SQL.

> Would it help implementing a real undo/redo mechanism? (something that I
> do think is sorely missing)

I don't think so.

> Jean

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745