[GNC-dev] Deprecation of XML file

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 02:20:05 EDT 2020

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 at 14:18, Stefan Bluhm <gnucash.org at bluhm-de.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason to keep supporting the XML file in future?

More than "a reason", singular. Here are two that come to my mind, based on
past usage:

1) It's a lot simpler to perform XSLT actions on an XML file than it
is an SQLite file

2) You don't need any SQL-aware tools to inspect or manipulate an XML
file, just a
    plain-text aware pager or editor does the job.

As for the more recent,

> Let me please summarise your demands for XML ,,,

well,  the "demand" here would appear to be the one that would no longer see
XML supported.

Perhaps it would be better if you would, instead, summarised the benefits, as
you see them, of taking XML away, noting of course that suggestions akin to
"well, you could still do X but would just have to do it with S" will
rarely be seen
as beneficial by those who are already doing X.

Is there perhaps, something that you want to do with the codebase that you
are currently unable to do, because you have to write it out to an XML file
when you come to save, or would not be able to read in from an XML file
when opening?

Just my tre'pen'th though: and probably not worth even that in "new money"!