[GNC-dev] [GNC] Fwd: www.gnucash.org

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Feb 27 09:33:19 EST 2021

Hi,

Actually, this probably should go to gnucash-devel instead of
gnucash-user.  So please reply only to -devel..

Right now we do have some diversified DNS -- Linas runs 2 DNS servers and
I run one.  We could set up one more...  So THAT (DNS) isn't the issue.

I could also set up a www "mirror" at my site, so "www.gnucash.org" would
be somewhat diversified.  However, I'd rather it be a hot-spare than a
round-robin solution, and *that* is something I don't know how to do.
What I mean is that we could set up multiple IP targets for
www.gnucash.org in DNS, but clients would then hit both of them, whereas
what I would want is for them only to hit the second if the first is
unavailable.

Moreover, that would only work for Linas' server (www), it wouldn't help
for mine (which also runs master git, wiki, email lists, etc).

I certainly welcome ideas, but we want to be the masters of our own
destiny, which means running our own servers and not using e.g. AWS.

-derek

On Sat, February 27, 2021 9:18 am, David G. Pickett via gnucash-user wrote:
> gnucash should have geographically diversified web servers?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745