[GNC-dev] gc 4.6 compile problem

Lothar Paltins lkpgcd at mailbox.org
Thu Jul 1 07:18:19 EDT 2021

Am 01.07.21 um 05:15 schrieb John Ralls:
> You don't need to replace the old libraries, just remove them. Then Guile won't be able to find them and will fall back to looking where it's told to, in the build directory. Kinda like that (probably apocryphal) Churchill quote about Americans always doing the right thing after they'd exhausted all of the alternatives. Make/ninja uninstall is easiest but doesn't always work if there are filename changes and the builddir or sourcedir are reused. If it fails it's usually enough to remove libgnc* from the install library folder; sometimes you also need to remove the installed *.scm and *.go files from their respective directories in libdir/guile/version/ccache and sharedir/guile.

I'm not really familiar with the build process of gnucash and with guile
and I don't know, if it's possible. But I think, if a shared library is
generated during a build process, then this version should be used
afterwards unconditionally. Any other version anywhere in the file
system is most likely outdated. And my install directory is
/opt/gnucash-4.6 and it's empty during a "make". /usr/lib64 isn't my
install directory, a "make uninstall" will not remove anything there. A
library in this directory is almost certainly outdated. I want to
install my compiled version separated from the distribution version, so
I can't simply remove /usr/lib64/libgnucash-guile.so. I would have to
restore it later.

Best regards
Lothar
Lothar Paltins                                      lkpgcd at mailbox.org