[GNC-dev] Crypto Currencies

Bruce Schuck bschuck at asgard-systems.com
Sat Jul 10 17:44:47 EDT 2021

Hello GnuCash developers,

I'm one of the Finance::Quote contributers. There are now a few stable
APIs available to get pricing information for Crypto-Currencies. One of
them already used in F::Q for physical currencies, AlphaVantage, is even
using the same API (CURRENCY_EXCHANGE_RATE -
https://www.alphavantage.co/documentation/#crypto-exchange) call for
both. Which would make it relatively easy to incorporate into
Finance:Quote's currency modules and treat them as currency rather than
treating crypto more like securities.

We are wondering what the GnuCash roadmap is regarding digital
currencies? While they are not assigned ISO 3166 or 4217 codes, so far
the identifiers for crypto (BTC, ETH, XLM as examples) have not
conflicted with existing physical currencies.

Perhaps we can start a discussion between the two teams. On this email
list or maybe the Finance-Quote-Devel
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/finance-quote/lists/finance-quote-devel)
email list?

Thanks for your time.