[GNC-dev] How do I get the "sign" (or side) of the transaction from the account or transaction element in xml?

Arman Schwarz armanschwarz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 07:38:43 EDT 2021

Thanks Geert,

I'm aware of the need to think in terms of debit/credit signs, but my
question was how I could know whether a positive value in the split element
in the XML will increase or decrease the "balance" that the user sees in
gnucash.

This depends on the side of the accounting equation the account is on, e.g.
positive split values increase the balance of an asset account, but
decrease the balance of an income account. Rather than manually maintaining
a mapping of account types and whether the sign is positive or negative, I
was hoping there'd be something in the XML or perhaps in those bindings you
mentioned that would do this for me.

By the way those python bindings are a good suggestion anyway, I'll check
them out.