[GNC-dev] Greetings & Windows Build

Yasuaki Taniguchi/谷口康明 yasuakit at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 00:21:25 EDT 2021

Hello,

This problem is also affect to me.

> That's interesting, help worked from GnuCash the last time I tested it and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help says that it's still supported. I'm away from my Windows VM until Monday so I can't double-check. Isn't the help viewer hh.exe rather than help.exe?
>
> There is no "dev onboarding process", it's an all-volunteer force. If you already know C or Scheme (ideally both and C++ too) then find a bug that bugs you and write a PR. Lather, rinse, repeat. Please look over https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development and everything linked to it for general guidance on style, PR submission guidance, and so on.

HTML Help workshop is still supported. But we, new developers, can't
download it anymore in proper way and license.
Microsoft remove the installer htmlhelp.exe from their website.

According to the guidelines
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design/in-app-help/guidelines-for-app-help
and
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design/in-app-help/external-help
 ,
it is recommended to use external help for "detailed tutorials,
advanced functions, or libraries of help topics".

So we have to consider to use external link or other format for help
manual and guide, at least on Windows.

TANIGUCHI Yasuaki (谷口康明)
  yasuakit at gmail.com