[GNC-dev] Development Environment

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 14 15:00:55 EDT 2021

> On Mar 14, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Mark Lautman <mark at lautman.net> wrote:
>
>   Hello!
>
>   I'd like to start contributing to the gnucash project.
>
>   a) Is there a particular development environment you recommend?
>
>   b) Is the priority on fixing bugs or migrating the code to C++ (or
>   something else)?

Welcome!

The most straightforward development environment is your favorite Linux distro because the package manager will set up almost everything you need and the IDEs like Eclipse and KDevelop work without too much thrashing.

There are instructions for building GnuCash on Linux, macOS, and Microsoft Windows linked from https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building.

You should also read https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development and the pages linked from it.

We have a release in 2 weeks, so my priority is on bugs right now. We generally steer new contributors towards working on bugs as a way to learn the code base and our conventions but not everyone has started that way. There are some "something elses" at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Roadmap.

Regardless of what you decide to work on, please communicate a lot: Don't invest a month working on something in a corner and pop up with a huge PR for review, that almost always ends poorly. Besides this list you can often find developers on our IRC channel, see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC.

Regards,
John Ralls