[GNC-dev] Using WSLg for building and using Gnucash

Sumit Bhardwaj bhardwajs at outlook.com
Thu Oct 21 17:13:02 EDT 2021

There have been some threads here about using WSL to use and develop Gnucash. I wanted to report back on my experience.

For the last few months, I have been using WSLg (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/tutorials/gui-apps) to build Gnucash from maint and use it everyday for tracking my personal finances. This allows me to observe build breaks and I can ensure that Clang toolchain works without any issues.

Pros:
- My experience of building and using Gnucash is as straightforward as it can get. When there was a build break and I had some time, I was able to send a PR.
- VS Code works well with source and binary on WSL. I use that for my day job where I develop for Windows and Linux.
- If and when I have time, I can contribute which might be far less than what I hoped. ☹

Cons:
- WSLg doesn't build Windows binaries; Gnucash has to build Windows binaries for Windows users.
- WSLg is only available on Windows 11.
- WSLg is part of developer environment which might limit usage.

Thanks,
Sumit