[GNC-dev] Database abstraction

Thomas tduellmann+gnucashdevel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 07:54:00 EDT 2022

Hello everybody,

for quite some time I am interested in doing some simple queries against
the data I have in my GnuCash books that I found hard to specify in
custom reports or the like.
As I have some technical background, I was thinking whether there is
some DB abstraction that allows easier queries than the core database
model behind GnuCash. At least for me, it would be easier to write some
Python code or SQL queries rather than writing a custom GnuCash report tbh.

So a representation closer to the visual representation in GnuCash where
it is easier (without countless JOINs for example) to make queries
(e.g., get all transactions in a specific account that are higher than a
certain amount).

I'd appreciate any kinds of hints on what you would use for such purposes!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
Thomas