[GNC-dev] Extending GnuCash: CSV-import/lookup commodity by cusip

Thomas tduellmann+gnucashdevel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:32:56 EST 2022

Dear list,

recently, I spotted a feature that I would love to have added to
GnuCash. As I have a software development background, I could definitely
contribute to the solution, but as it is quite some time ago that I
developed in C++ and am new to contributing to GnuCash, I might need
some cues.

Desired feature:
When importing prices from a CSV file, the matching to existing
commodities seems to be possible only based on the symbol. What would be
really helpful for me would be, if this matching could also be done by
cusip.

The optimal scenario would be the possiblity to choose either "symbol"
or "cusip" in the dropdown list above the columns and then use another
method that retrieves the respective commodity as done in
gnucash/import-export/csv-imp/gnc-imp-props-price.cpp:106 using the
symbol_str.

 From the functional point of view, I am currently only lacking an idea
on how such a lookup based on the cusip would look like, as there seems
only to be a 'gnc_commodity_table_lookup' function that only takes
namespace and symbol. Would a respective method also need to be
implemented or what would be the proper approach for looking up a
commodity by cusip?

Thanks a lot in advance and would be grateful for any hint in this regard!

Best regards,
Thomas