[GNC-dev] [GNC] Questions about Import Map Data

Lincoln A Baxter drgfell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 02:07:03 EDT 2022

Hi,

It's been a very long time since I asked a question on this list serve,
and a very long time since I last did a "cleanup" of my GC file (with
perl scripts back then).

I started keeping my accounting data in GC back in March of 2005.  Now
I'm looking to reorganize my chart of expense accounts (again) to
simplify things... when I do that, I'll want to remove the obsolete
Bayes data (again).

I have a general idea of how the Bayesian import mapper works... Years
ago I wrote some perl scripts to prune it out of the uncompressed XML
file, so I could start it over.  But, I'm now looking at the  Tools ->
Import Map Editor which I will (belatedly say) is a huge improvement
over mucking about with the xml slot data -- which now looks to be
simplified), especially if all one wants to do, is zero it out.  But,
this has lead me to some questions:

Most of the Bayes data is space tokenized transaction description data.
I get that part.  My understanding is that it is scores in this data
that the matcher uses to map transactions to a balancing account.   But
I see data, that could not of come from transaction descriptions.  Why
are days of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc)  in the Bayes data?  Where
does this data come from? How does this help the transaction mapper?

It looks like the Non-Bayesian data consist of a full (non-tokenized)
transaction descriptions... at least a few of them (nowhere near all of
them... not even close).  Given how few I've got (and how old they
appear to be), I don't under stand why this data is here.  It is almost
like this was an early attempt to create transaction matching data,
that might have existed since before the bayesian matcher "matured."
So:

Why does gnucash have these records (and how did they get created)?
Are these records used in transaction mapping? (anymore)... or does
this display exist simply for the purpose of allowing one to nuke them?

Thanks

Lincoln