[GNC-dev] Co-Owner

Ralf Zerres ralf.zerres at mail.de
Sat Jun 11 12:19:46 EDT 2022

Am Freitag, dem 10.06.2022 um 10:21 -0700 schrieb John Ralls:

> > On Jun 10, 2022, at 9:58 AM, Ralf Zerres <ralf.zerres at mail.de>
> > wrote:

> > > To amplify the rejection of your pull request: GnuCash has a
> > > scope
> > > that's limited by its basic design and what the core development
> > > team
> > > are able to maintain. That scope is basic accounting for personal
> > > and
> > > very small business use, where very small means sole proprietors
> > > with
> > > no employees (GnuCash has no payroll module). The multiple
> > > ownership
> > > model of this change falls outside that scope. Furthermore it
> > > caters
> > > to a very narrow single-nation use case that would be very
> > > difficult
> > > for the current core team to maintain.
> > >
> > Thanks for your clarification. I do know the time restrictions you
> > have
> > to address, if the development team is quite limited.
> > And yes, the i don't address big company usage. MEG are small self
> > maintaining orgs. Usually properties as a target will have 2-15
> > owners
> > that do live in the apartement themself or offer it for rental.
> > This should be quite common in all countries, right?
> >
> > > Nevertheless the whole point of Free software is your freedom to
> > > adapt it to your needs and this is the right place to ask for
> > > help
> > > with that.
> > >
> > Yes. One of the reasons i like to hack on it.
> >
> > > As for the scheme problem, it looks like your C changes managed
> > > break compiling unitest-support.scm, but you chopped off a bit
> > > too
> > > much to be sure. There should be two more lines at the bottom
> > > saying
> > > what was the actual error and a few more lines leading up to the
> > > stack trace would be helpful to be sure of the source of the
> > > error.
> > > Turn on GitHub actions for your personal repository (see
> > > https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/managing-your-repositorys-settings-and-features/enabling-features-for-your-repository/managing-github-actions-settings-for-a-repository
> > > ) and Github will run builds for you using the CI actions already
> > > in
> > > GnuCash. Then you can just post a link to a failed one for us to
> > > help
> > > you diagnose it.
> > >
> > > To tackle the reason, i took your advice and activated CI actions
> > > for
> > > the co-owner branch. Just have a look.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John Ralls
> > >
> > best Ralf
>
> Please remember to copy the list on all replies.
My fault. Not by intention. Simply to tired and didn't recognized it.

> Sole proprietor means one, not 2-15. MEGs might be small, but they
> would seem not to be small enough for GnuCash.
quite usual: your mileage may vary :)

> I don't know about all countries. I know about the US, where one
> would usually create a single legal entity (the most common are a
> Limited Liability Partnership or a Subchapter-S corporation; I'll
> leave it to you to look those up if you care to) with simple
> accounting and reporting requirements that are easily handled by
> GnuCash with a little hand work maintaining each partner's ownership
> interest in Equity accounts. Preparing the taxes has to be done with
> other software as always. A normal balance sheet and income statement
> from GnuCash are usually sufficient for the inputs.
Of course, I am not familiar with US practices.
Creating a P&L as well as a balance sheet is no problem with the
appropriate chart of accounts. This preparatory work is already fully
implemented, at least to meet the requirements in Germany. With the
existing reports this can be easily implemented.

> Regards,
> John Ralls

best regards back to all interested parties
Ralf