[GNC-dev] Various failures while building MacOS/Quartz from source

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Tue Nov 1 00:46:31 EDT 2022

I am continuing my attempt to build GnuCash 4.11 from source  on macOS
12.6 (M1 CPU), following the instructions at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOS/Quartz .

With help from John Ralls, I have completed the command: jhbuild
bootstrap-gtk-osx.

I then attempted: jhbuild build .

In the next 46,000 lines of output, there were about six failures:

 1. during phase build of
    freetype:/Users/gtkdeveloper/gnucash/src/freetype-2.11.1/src/autofit/afshaper.h:30:10:
    fatal error: 'hb-ft.h' file not found
 2. during phase configure of atk:
    ../../src/atk-2.36.0/atk/meson.build:138:2: ERROR: Dependency
    "gobject-introspection-1.0" not found, tried pkgconfig, framework
    and cmake
 3. during phase configure of gtk-mac-integration: configure: error:
    Neither GTK+-2.0 nor GTK+-3.0 was found
 4. during phase build of xmlsec: CCLD libxmlsec1-gnutls.la: Undefined
    symbols for architecture arm64: "_gcry_mpi_cmp", "_gcry_mpi_invm", etc.
 5. during phase configure of libchipcard: Package gwenhywfar was not
    found in the pkg-config search path.
 6. during phase build of libdbi: ld: unknown option:
    --version-script=/Users/gtkdeveloper/gnucash/src/libdbi/src/libdbi.map

I can obviously dig into each one of these, but all I really want is a
running GnuCash with Python bindings. I can find an easier way to get it
than diagnosing these problems, I'd prefer that. MacPorts might get me
what I want. It is currently posing a different obstacle, but one which
I might be able to overcome more easily.

Is there interest in me describing these problems and attempting to run
them to ground?  If there is a developer who wants to help me, and would
like to use my experience to improve the build documentation and/or the
tools, then I am willing to keep digging.

Thanks,
     —Jim DeLaHunt