[GNC-dev] Building MacOS/Quartz from source: environment PREFIX, CXXFLAGS, etc?

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Oct 31 13:50:18 EDT 2022

> On Oct 31, 2022, at 12:53 AM, Jim DeLaHunt <list+gnucash at jdlh.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build GnuCash 4.11 from source  on macOS 12.6 (M1 CPU), following the instructions at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOS/Quartz .
>
> I have finished the preliminaries, so I appear to have jhbuild running. I encounter difficulty with the command:
>
> jhbuild bootstrap-gtk-osx
>
> It throws a succession of Python KeyErrors, looking for environment variables PREFIX, CXXFLAGS, and I assume CC and CFLAGS as well. For instance
>
> % jhbuild bootstrap-gtk-osx
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Users/gtkdeveloper/Source/jhbuild/jhbuild/config.py", line 194, in load
>     execfile(filename, config)
>   File "/Users/gtkdeveloper/Source/jhbuild/jhbuild/utils/compat.py", line 67, in execfile
>     exec(code, globals, locals)
>   File "/Users/gtkdeveloper/.config/jhbuildrc", line 474, in <module>
>     exec(compile(open(_user_rc, "rb").read(), _user_rc, 'exec'))
>   File "/Users/gtkdeveloper/.config/jhbuildrc-custom", line 3, in <module>
>     prefix = os.environ['PREFIX']
>   File "/Users/gtkdeveloper/.new_local/share/pyenv/versions/3.10.2/lib/python3.10/os.py", line 679, in __getitem__
>     raise KeyError(key) from None
> KeyError: 'PREFIX'
> jhbuild: could not load config file
> %
>
> The wiki page MacOS/Quartz does not mention these environment variables.
>
> Where are they described?  What values should I assign for them? I would appreciate a link to whatever page I should read next.

Jim,

Sorry.

There were a couple of mistakes in gnucash-on-osx/jhbuild-custom. I just pushed a commit to fix them. With that in place, the build will default to $HOME/gnucash with subdirectories src, build, and inst, the latter being short for install. You can override that by setting PREFIX in the environment, e.g. PREFIX=$HOME/mygnucashbuild/ and jhbuild will create the subdirectories.

I've updated the wiki page to reflect the current layout.

Regards,
John Ralls