Entry of a "split" transaction

Robert Macaulay taer@austin.rr.com
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 20:55:20 -0500

Hi. I was testing out gnucash. I have a problem figuring out how to enter a
split.
    I have created accounts for all the taxes, 401k, Stock purchase,
medical, etc. How/where do I actually enter my paycheck. In quicken, I enter
the actual check amount in the deposit field, and enter as splits my actual
income, taxes etc to make the total of the splits equal to the actual check.
How do I do this in a double entry system? I have gnucash setup as I believe
auto-single so it expands for splits. From what I read, I enter my check
from income acct to checking. Do I make the "split" happen from checking to
the others? Can someone give me an idea of how to go about creating this
transaction, ie, what transactions to enter in what windows to make the
proper entries in all the accounts associated with a paycheck? I would love
to use the income account and split from there, yet I have a hard time
entering this. It seems the top line ignores what you type in, and
recalculates. Thanks

Robert