mutual fund reconcilliation and round off error

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:31:14 -0500

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 02:10:48PM -0400, Lauren Matheson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While trying to reconcile a mutual fund it seems to be off by less than
> .0001 shares, probably due to round off somewhere, but it won't let me
> finish the reconcilliation and I can't add an adjustment entry because
> share volume is rounded off to four decimal places it seems.  On the
> reconcilliation screen it shows the difference as -0 shares.  Any way to
> get around this, or is this a development issue?

Expect a patch within 2 weeks that will replace gnucash's internal
math operations with exact integer math.  Your problem should go away
at that time if you are using the 1.5 series (though other problems
will very likely appear; this is going to be a very seriously large
patch, and more than just math is affected : new file format, new QIF
importer, and other stuff that all needed to be committed in a batch
due to interdependencies).

Bill Gribble