Rounding discrepancies [1.4.7]

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 08:40:06 -0500

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 08:06:07AM +0200, Andrea Borgia wrote:
> If I buy 3301.82 share at 5.454 each, gnucash computes the total value
> of the transaction as 605.3942. The statement issued by the investment
> bank round this amount to 605.394.
>
> How do I deal with this situation? Should I adjust the share price (tt
> might not be possible since gnucash is using 3 digits for decimals in
> that field, too) or is there a way to tell gnucash how do behave in
> that case?

For the time being, you need to figure out which numbers are important
for accounting and make sure those are correct.  In your case, the
numbers which matter are the total value of the transaction in EUR and
the number of shares.  The price is really irrelevant except as a way
of computing a current market value of your assets.  Allow gnucash to
fractionally adjust the price and you will be happier.

As Dave said, future versions of gnucash will let you do this more
easily, using exact computations for the financial numbers and
allowing you to specify the degree of precision to use in your
accounting.  The first of these changes will go into the development
version of gnucash this week, though I do NOT recommend trying it out
unless you are very brave and have backed up your data.

Bill Gribble