A few questions from a keen newbie

Chris Friedl cfriedl@bigpond.net.au
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:56:33 +1000

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C03956.A8E9A8F0

Hi All

I'm new to gnucash - just spent the last day setting up accounts for my =
families personal finances. Quite exciting really.

I noticed in the examples from earlier builds that there are cases where =
a transaction is split. What is this and why, when and how do I do it? I =
see no split selection in any dialog.

Also, in multiline register views there are action functions. What are =
these and why and when would I use them?

Finally, I love the stock price lookup. Living in Australia but working =
for a, now US based company, I have both Australian and US stock. I =
would like to see my assets account ( I assume that where stocks are =
kept) in Australian dollars. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I =
could set up one or more accounts to reflect a final asset status in =
AUD. What would be really nice is if the exchange rate could be updated =
as frequently as the stock price. (With the present fall in the AUD its =
needed.) Can this be done now? If I wanted to program this, any =
suggestions about where to look?

Thanks for a great piece of software.

Be Well and Happy Always

Chris

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C03956.A8E9A8F0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi All</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm new to gnucash - just spent the =
last day=20
setting up accounts for my families personal finances. Quite exciting=20
really.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I noticed in the examples from earlier =
builds that=20
there are cases where a transaction is split. What is this and why, when =
and how=20
do I do it? I see no split selection in any dialog.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, in multiline register views there =
are action=20
functions. What are these and why and when would I use =
them?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Finally, I love the stock price lookup. =
Living in=20
Australia but working for a, now US based company, I have both =
Australian and US=20
stock. I would like to see my assets account ( I assume that where =
stocks are=20
kept) in Australian dollars. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I =
could set=20
up one or more accounts to reflect a final asset status in AUD. What =
would be=20
really nice is if the exchange rate could be updated as frequently as =
the stock=20
price. (With the present fall in the AUD its needed.) Can this be done =
now? If I=20
wanted to program this, any suggestions about where to =
look?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for a great piece of =
software.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Be Well and Happy Always</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chris</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C03956.A8E9A8F0--