credit and debit switched?

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:27:59 -0700

andy writes:
> i just started using gnucash recently.  i am running 1.4.6 (from the
> debian packages at helixcode) and upon opening gnucash this morning, found
> that all of my credits and debits were switched!  the balances for each
> line are correct, but every transaction that was a debit is now listed in
> the credit column (same amount), and vice versa.  i tried the "scrub"
> function, and that marked everything as an imbalance.  couldn't find any
> info out there about it (my search terms "credit debit switch" are kinda
> vague :), so forgive me if this is a rtfm question...
>
> huh.  i just tried opening a number of the accounts.blah.xac files (going
> back to the oldest) and they are all displaying this same
> problem...  maybe an upgrde to .8?

What version did you upgrade from?

A while ago (around 1.3.5 or so, I think), GnuCash cleaned up some
inconsistencies in the use of 'debit' and 'credit'.

Specifically, GnuCash now uses:

debit == an increase in an assset account (e.g., a deposit to a bank account)
credit == a decreate in an asse acccount (a withdrawal from a bank account)

GnuCash shows (for the main transaction lines) debits on the left
and credits on the right.

dave