Help: Configuration error

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:14:41 +1100

Young writes:
 > This is my configuration message.
 >
 > I struggled for 1 week to finish just configuration.
 >
 > Does any body know which package do I have to install more to use gnucash?
 >
 > I am using Debian 2.2 Potato with Window Maker

 > checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
 > checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
 > checking for working aclocal... missing
 > checking for working autoconf... missing
 > checking for working automake... missing
 > checking for working autoheader... missing
 > checking for working makeinfo... missing
 > checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
 > checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
 > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
 > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
 > checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
 > checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
 > checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
 > checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
 > checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
 > checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
 > checking for object suffix... o
 > checking for executable suffix... no
 > checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
 > checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
 > checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
 > checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
 > checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
 > checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
 > checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
 > checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
 > checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
 > checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
 > checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
 > checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
 > checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
 > checking whether to build static libraries... yes
 > checking for objdir... .libs
 > creating libtool
 > checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
 > checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
 > checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
 > checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
 > checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
 > checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
 > checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
 > checking for POSIXized ISC... no
 > checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
 > checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
 > checking for limits.h... yes
 > checking for stpcpy... yes
 > checking for memcpy... yes
 > checking for working const... yes
 > checking for inline... inline
 > checking for off_t... yes
 > checking for size_t... yes
 > checking for working alloca.h... yes
 > checking for alloca... yes
 > checking for unistd.h... yes
 > checking for getpagesize... yes
 > checking for working mmap... yes
 > checking for argz.h... yes
> [...]

Firstly, there is a version of GnuCash distributed for Debian 2.2,
both in the main distribution and as part of Helix Gnome.  If all you
want to do is *use* GnuCash, that will be sufficient.

However, if you still wish to compile from source, you need to install
some libraries, and the development packages as well.

For instance, the output from configure suggests that the library Xpm
is not present on your system.

On Debian systems, libXpm is distributed as part of the package xpm4g,
and the extra information necessary to *compile* using this library is
in xpm4g-dev.  Most libraries are named lib<foo>, and the
corresponding development package which you also need is called
lib<foo>-dev.  A list of the libraries that you need is included in
the README file distributed with GnuCash.

Note that from the output of configure that msgfmt is not present.
This is part of the gettext package, which you also might want to
install.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net