gnucash 1.4.6

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:06:57 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jens,

You should probably take your questions to gnucash-user@gnucash.org

It's been rumoured that Jens Gecius said:

> First of all: thanks for gnucash - a great way to keep track
> (especially with gnc-prices) of my accounts.

You're welcome!

> But I have two problems (actually one problem and one wish). So the
> wish first: I have accounts in EUR and USD. Is it possible to keep
> track of the foreign exchange rate (like to get the latest prices on
> stocks) for an account to "translate" the USD-Amount into EUR (e.g. in
> the last colum, where I have a TOTAL EUR).

Umm, I'm not sure.  The Finance::quote perl module does fetch currency
conversion rates, but does so in an unusual way.  I don't know if
gnc-prices is smart enough to take the exchange rate and plug it into
the currency accounts (I guess its not?).   Naively, I'd call this a
bug, probably a bug in finance::quote, since that should handle
currencies just like stock (i.e. besides 'just' the exchange rate,
there is a high, low and close for the day, etc.)

To get from there to gnucash, you would need to type iin the 'quote
source' into the account type, and it 'should' work.  'Should', because
I think the current gnucash currency accounts are too hard to use.
We're making changes to the 1.5 versions that should simplify
multi-currency handling a lot.

> Now the problem: my USD-Accounts split up to two banks and there into
> 5 accounts each. The stockbroker-account is just fine, but the banking
> account also has two credit cards. The total of the bank account is
> fine, but the total of the USD-accounts is too high - exactly the
> amount of the creditcard-accounts. The structure of the accounts is as
> follows, so you can see where my problem is:
>
> USD-Accounts (total to high)
> +Citi (total ok)
> | + Savings (plus amount)
> | + Checking (plus amount)
> | + Creditcard (minus amount)
> | :
> +Broker
>  +stock
>  :
>
> Anyway to get this right?

Umm, ahh, this sounds like the cannonical gnucash bug.  Either you're
typing entries into the wrong columns (which would cause a minus sign
to appear), or we have the columns labelled incorrectly.

I defer to the mailing list for further dicussion ....

--linas