Help with stock/currency changes

Luke Diamand luke@diamand.org
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:04:25 +0100

Hi!

I've just started to use gnucash in order to help me pay my upcoming
income tax.

The problem I have is this. Last financial year, the company I work for
changed from being a UK company to a US company. I had a handful of the
UK company shares and these were taken away and replaced with shiny new
US shares.

So - how do I represent this in gnucash?

It doesn't seem to want to let me just transfer shares from one stock
account (in GBP) to another (in USD).

So I tried pretending that I'd sold all my UK shares and then
transferred this to a currency GBP/USD account, and then bought US
shares (what exchange rate? what price?) but my head started to spin at
this stage.

Should I just not bother, or is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Luke Diamand