tracking cash

David Proulx dproulx@netgate.net
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:01:16 -0700

I've developed a habit of getting a receipt for my cash purchases as
often as possible.  If there's no receipt I write a note about the
expense in my Palm Pilot or write it on a scrap of paper and stick that
in my wallet.

Once or twice a week I enter all the receipts and notes into the
GnuCash "cash" account, and "balance" the register with what is in my
wallet.  If I have missed some expenses (indicated by less money in
the wallet than Gnucash says I should have) I add an entry from cash
to "Unaccounted".  But I end up with less than $100 a year on Unaccounted.
To me, Unaccounted is much more accurate than "Miscellaneous".  I also
have a Miscellaneous account, but I *know* what those individual
expenses are.

Gnucash's reporting is only as good as the data you enter, so I think
this is well worth the trouble (and it really is not very hard, nor
does it take much time).  I've been doing it for several years
(used to use Quicken), and it was a real eye-opener at first.  For
example, once I saw how much money I was dropping into vending
machines at work, I quickly stopped.  Things like that REALLY add up.

Dave